Friday, November 20, 2009

So...

...my daughter came home one day and asked me what a CONDOM was!!! Arghhh, middle school! She had some kids tell her that they saw one on the fence at the school! I have to say that, while it caught me off guard, I was secretly happy she came to me. I'm glad she feels comfortable enough asking and she knew a little about what it was so she totally knew what she was getting into when she asked! She knew it had to do with...well, you all know. And now, she knows exactly what it is and probably knows more than the kids who mentioned it in the first place! It's funny how kids only know bits and pieces of these things. None of them can explain it to the other in details. So one of the most important messages (aside from the actual message) is for kids to go ASK their PARENTS! And parents, please explain this stuff to your children. Talk to them...A LOT! And, it would be wise to do it when they're young. Don't make 'em learn from the streets like I had to! Haha...kidding mom! The book suggests 8 years old. I missed the boat on both my older kids so I plan to do better with the next child. But whatever you do, do it before high school. My favorite high school sex ed story was when a bunch of my friends were together in the car one night and one of my friends asked what a boner was! At age 16!!! We were all shocked...and then...she was grossed out when we told her!!! Funniest thing ever!!!

I have a friend with two boys and she told me about one of her son's friends who got caught shoplifting condoms. He was doing it because he was curious and wanted to see what they were. So, I made sure to tell her if she ever wanted to see one, I would show her. She's not interested right now. Phew! Cuz, unfortunately for me, I pretty much don't have any on hand!

So, since we are on the subject, I will put in my two cents about my sex ed research. I found a book I really liked and used it with two of my kids so far. It's called "How to Talk to Your Child About Sex." Within that book, they recommended the children's book "Where Did I Come From?" Now, read through this book prior to reading it with your child, cuz I can pretty much guarantee, you're gonna giggle! And, read it with your grown siblings and parents, and then you've got yourself a serious party. But, I digress...

I have since heard of another book that I would like to read but haven't done so yet. It's called "What's Love Got to do With It?" The idea is that this is ongoing conversation and not just "the talk" but, I have not been good about that. So, this was a chance to remind my daughter of some of the things we talked about. What are your thoughts, advice and experiences on this subject? I would love to know what has or has not worked for any of you. And, for your reading pleasure as well as ease of knowing what to look for...I present pictures! Cuz, I'm nice like that. :)



And, last but not least...I would suggest buying or letting your child watch this lady (http://pamstenzel.com/) and her video on youtube. I showed you some linky love so just click the gray "her video" and it will take ya right there! (It's in 10 minute increments of six different videos so watch them all!) And, if you buy the DVD, I would suggest buying the public school version as it's less like a born again revival!

That's all for now...happy sex ed parenting!!!

No comments: